Thursday, May 17, 2007

Happy Birthday Ava Marie

Dear Ava:

I wanted to post a birthday thread for you on your birthday but I was in a not too good place; a bad pain flare. I did nothing that day but feed me and the pets and slept and slept and slept. I am so sorry sweetheart dear grand-daughter of mine.

I have painted you a watercolor painting. I hope you like it. It is comprised solely of watercolor paints. I have been practicing a lot lately and it is beginning to show. I even like it! I will mail it as soon as I can. I even have a mat and frame for it and will do this for you. All you have to do is hang it up.

Have I told you lately how much I love you? Well I love you!

You were my first grand-daughter and such a happy event in our family the first girl grandchild. I remember when you were born; you gave us all a big scare. Your mommy had to come home a few days before you did because you had jaundice. Not too serious but something that has to be watched closely.

The first time I held you I felt such motherly love. You were so tiny, beautiful and your hair felt like silk. I loved kissing you on the top of your sweet head. I think you liked it too.

Your first bath, your mom, Auntie Barb and me were there doing it all together and it was such a fun time. You were very quiet and it seemed like you were trying to figure out what all the fuss was about. You were just getting a bath for Pete's Sake and there was all this grown up women chattering around you.

Your parents had to keep a special light over you for a few days after you came home from the hospital. And a very nice nurse came over to check you out everyday. She had to take blood from your little foot and we all almost cried for you. Thank goodness you were well in just a few days.

I remember when you were in your little chair, it was parked under the living room window for the light. You had your little blue glow light on too. Morgan was a cute littel bald haired baby then and he was fascinated by you! He could not keep his eyes off you for a second. Or his hands either. He kept trying to pat you on the head and a swarm of women descended on him keeping his hands off your head.

I think he got ticked off at us because he started rocking you in your chair and got to going way too fast looking at us a bit defiantly "Gonna stop me from doing this too? " We had too. He almost ejected you out of the chair!

But he loved his baby cousin so much!

I got to give you a bath the next day by myself and was scared so much. It had been a long time since I bathed a newborn. I brought with me a yellow infant girl's dress that my grandfather (your great great grandfather) bought for your momma when she was born. I remember putting that cute little dress and booties on you and coming your hair. Then I sat you up on the sofa so we could all ohh and ahh at how adorable you were. Still are too!

Another time at Christmas, you had not been walking very long. I think you were a year and a half that year. Morgan had gotten a tiny tike bicycle and he loved it. But he got off it and wandered off to play with something else. It took you one second to get up on his bike. Morgan spotted you and came back over to try to get you off his bike, He was about 2 and 1/2.

I was on the floor video taping the entire thing. Morgan was frustrated. You were busy with the pedals and paid no attention to him. And he looked over at me to help him out. I just smiled. Finally he spoke. "Dad can I hit Ava?" I heard Scott in the background saying "Better not son!" That was very cute and I have it on tape still.

I called you last night but perhaps all of you were at karate class. Give me a call so I can say Happy Birthday in person. I want to talk to you about Jeremy too.

Is he adorable or what? To get him used to being handled; you should start now by touching his paws front and back, his tummy, etc. Be gentle with him and he will never learn to be afraid of touch. Get him used to people too as much as possible. Boy cats don't care for their bellies touched. But if you start when they are very young they will accept it. That is what I did with Frankie. He does not fear anyone touching paws or belly.

Okay sweetheart. I imagine your party will be this weekend. I hope you had a wonderful birthday. And please know that even if I wasn't feeling well I was thinking about you and your birthday all day (when I was awake)!

I love you Ava!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandma Cookie

No comments: