Friday, January 12, 2007

Some Bad Poetry

These were written over a several week period; a few months ago. Angie? Barbara? Is this poetry?
Last Night I Was Thinking:
praying is more like it
one day a month
would asking for one day a month
be too much to ask
for just one day a month to
feel my body without
the noisy distraction of pain
I just can't remember
what that feels like anymore
to not feel pain
without all the numbing meds
in my life
to scratch an itch without it hurting
to rub my muscles and feel soreness
because I rode the exercise bike
instead of bumpy ropey bands
of wasted muscles
it is unpleasant to feel them
Just one day a month
without any pain at all
Is that too much to ask?
===================================================
Quiet Wanted
the last time I had a day
without pain
I remember it clearly
It was a tease
leaving the acupuncture treatment
standing outside and leaning against
the brick wall I felt
nothing
no pain
just a quiet
quiet sense of my body and
who I am without pain
Spring of 2001
two hours of beautiful silence
===================================================
Knowing I need to say sorry
to all the people in my life
who have hurt too
because I let them down
over and over again
with reasons
they saw it as excuses
who could blame them
no one knows
unless they feel and experience it too
I run the apologies over in my mind
day after day
night after night
but never seem to get around to it
but I will
one day
when it is quiet
and I feel better
hope it happens because
I have caused pain too
and I am sorry
====================================================
Narcotics
they numb me down
and I get forgetful too
yeah they cover that pain pretty good
so I can climb Mt. Everest
they are supposed to help me for eight hours
Six hours later
the pain comes back
they, the pills and my pain
make me forget to care about my kids
my friends
my responsibilities
they wrap me up in a tight little
cocoon so I don't feel much
of anything at all.
=================================================
People say to me
"you are so strong
I admire you and
don't know if I could be so strong"
it is better to let them believe
what they want
"you are so brave"
if only they knew the truth
they would say something else
or nothing at all
"you will get over this"
that is the biggest lie
of all
they need to believe this
to even look at my face
or hear my voice
or think of me at all
I am not mad
and I let them believe
what they have to believe
but I know better
and it is not okay
so I say nothing at all.
=====================================================
Tonight I was thinking
how much better I feel
because I reached out
to the ones that mean the most to me
to say I need you
I need more than you been giving
its my turn to ask for help
I love you
but you haven't been paying attention
and I am worth
some of your time
=====================================================
I Am Afraid
I was afraid five years ago
when nothing was known for sure
about what was the source of the pain
I was more afraid three years ago
when we knew what it was
that caused pain
I was afraid two years ago
when I could no longer work
it hurt too much
Last year I was afraid when I gave up
all thoughts of ever being able to work again
because of the pain
I am still afraid because
I look to the future
and see more pain
and not much else
And I am afraid no one
will ever want me
or find me attractive
because of how I feel pain
pain separates me from all the things
that I love, want and dream about
I am afraid nothing will change that
because I am too tired
========================================================
I just want to be left alone
not from the ones that I love
and care about so much
but from the takers
who have taken so much
leave me be
talked to me without a trace
of humanity
take all you want
there is nothing left for you
of value
just ole sad dusty sentimental things
nothing you could possibly want
take it
let me have my peace
I have done my part
the best way I can
the only way I can
go elsewhere to make another miserable
leave me to paint
to dream
to hope
to heal
and to rest
and to love
those that matter most

1 comment:

Angie said...

Nancy, yes this is poetry! You know, you don't have to rhyme for it to be poetry. lol In fact, these days they seem to prefer the non-rhyming kind. My favorite is Quiet Wanted. I also like the painting of the park in Canada.